Why Choose An Audiologist vs. Hearing Aid Dispenser

An audiologist is a quality of life doctor who specializes in the auditory (hearing) and vestibular (balance) system to prevent, diagnose, manage, and treat hearing loss, balance issues, and related conditions.  Some people believe hearing aid dispensing (HAD) companies are their own choice to seek treatment for hearing loss because they do not understand the difference between an audiologist and hearing aid dispenser (also known as hearing instrument specialist).

Consider an audiologist as the highly qualified and primary clinical care specialist for your auditory and vestibular system.  An audiologist is the only licensed professional who can treat your comprehensive hearing and balance health.  We are concerned with the wellness of your entire auditory and vestibular system, which includes your brain, as well as your ears.

Do not be misguided by the impression a white lab coat presents in the hearing care industry.  Be well-informed and know in advance if you will be seen by an audiologist or HAD.  While there are audiologists who work at some hearing aid dispensing companies, the goal of a HAD company is to sell you hearing aids.  Therefore, in that venue audiologists tend to focus on selling you hearing aids rather than your overall hearing and balance care and participating with your medical team Ahlberg Audiology teams with your primary care physician (PCP) and/or otolaryngologist/ENT physician to preserve the integrity of your overall auditory and vestibular health.

Audiologists are employed in a variety of venues, including audiology private practices, ENT practices, hospitals, K-12 schools, residential state schools, colleges and universities, government agencies, military, residential health and long-term care facilities, non-profit agencies, hearing conservation programs, hearing and manufacturers, and cochlear implant manufacturers, hearing aid dispensing companies, and big-box companies.

Share this post